Did a couple of 'sing-a-longs' with Dead Bob here to get a feel for how the Vuppets feel. I've embraced the glitchiness of the system and at times perhaps took it too far with some effects. Eh, it's a Music Video, it works.
I realize I'll need to get better at controlling it. In most conditions I can get the Vuppet to stay stable and not glitch out, I'll just have to get a feel for how to stop them.
This certainly was fun to make.
Stay tuned for better performances as I practice.
So if you've followed this blog, I've journaled this hobby of how to create a virtual Muppet system. Think Henson's Kermit the frog, or sock puppet. Something that can be used to generate puppet-style animation as quickly as you could with live-action. Only, with the obvious benefits of CG.
Well, I'm proud to say that I've gotten to a point where I have a working proof-of-concept prototype!
It's a bit raw, but I believe that I can fine-tune it to create a system that'll be entertaining to watch, and a joy to perform.
This is my first recorded test to see how it feels.
I'll tighten him up, build a set, and see about working out a sketch. Something to really run him through a production.
It's a bit glitchy, but I'm willing to embrace it, as it's a byproduct of the capture system. I'm sure it can be fine-tuned.. and that's also part of what these next round of tests will work on.
The character itself is interchangeable.. It can be customized with fully rigged/enveloped textured/shaded assets with as many blend-shapes for facial controls that you want to attempt to puppeteer.
There is a setup that can be implemented that'll allow for OSC midi or keyboard input.. but at this point I'm not concerned with that level of fidelity in the face. I think a few basic shapes and as you can see here, he can be quite emotive.
Anyway, I feel this is a great success at this stage, and am rejuvenated and inspired to move to the next stage during performance testing.